PCM-H8 Digital Audio Workstation
A PCM-H8 system shown with optional hardware controller and monitor.
OverviewThe PCM-H8 is a SADiE studio workstation based on the latest generation of DSP processing technology for use with the SADiE software environment.
It is designed for complex processing and post-production applications where high levels of DSP power are required in order to achieve high speed, high power processing, but without the need for large numbers of physical input and outputs.
The PCM-H8 can replay and edit 64 channels of 24bit 48kHz audio with real-time cross-fades and punch-ins, and offers similar DSP processing power to the PCM-H64 multi-track system.
Software OptionsThe PCM-H8 can be supplied with a choice of SADiE software packages tailored to specific applications. For further information about the software features, please see the SADiE software page.
In TV post-production studios, the powerful stem controls enable different versions to be track-layed and mixed within one EDL. It can also be supplied with integrated non-linear video record and replay, which uniquely amongst workstations, allows the video stream to be cut and edited in the same EDL alongside the audio.
Further suitable installations include surround mastering studios for music and DVD/HD soundtrack preparation, where the ability to edit and layer multiple 5.1 stems offers unmatched flexibility and creativity without the need to bounce or render any audio. Zero-latency support for DirectX and optionally VST plug-ins is provided.
Full support for console control is available, supporting desks such as the SSL AWS900, Yamaha, and Mackie HUI variants.
Hardware OptionsAt the heart of the PCM-H8 is a PCM series PCI DSP card with an 8 channel daughter card. This has a 44 pin D-sub connector to for connection to an optional 19" rackmount Break-out Box (BoB800). As a turnkey system, this is supplied in a 4u rack PC with keyboard and mouse (no monitor). Specifications of the host PC change periodically and there are various PC related options for HDD size, CD burner, graphics cards etc. Please contact us for details. This is currently supplied with Windows® 7 software.
In addition to the PC related options, there are also SADiE specific hardware options:
- CAT card "Control and Timecode" interface - provides synchronisation and 9-pin RS422 control features.
- Master Control panel: - provides a jog/shuttle scrub wheel, transport controls, timecode displays etc. Requires the CAT card to be fitted
- Fader Control panel: - includes 8 touch-sensitive motorised faders, solo/mute buttons, 6 digital rotary encoders for modifying EQ, dynamics and aux send levels and much more. Requires the CAT card to be fitted
- 8 inputs and 8 outputs
- real-time architecture
- up to 96kHz/24bit audio
- one button PQ editing
- AIFF, WAV, BWF file support
- professional plug-ins and DirectX support
- segment based automation
- optional hardware control interface with moving fader mixing
- multitrack editing
- project management
- background recording/backup
- backup to AIT, DDS, DLT, DVD-RAM
- 50 undo levels
- sample accurate waveform editing
- fully supports AES-31 interchange
- standard Windows networking
- 19"rack mount hardware
- AES/EBU and unbalanced analogue I/O on break-out box
- optional BoB800b 8-channel balanced analogue I/O option
- wide range of optional plug-ins